From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 23:38:07 -0500
On 3/30/06, Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hostage fees have always been my hot button.

well there are two more fees that have snuck in to replace the
insidious permanent out fees
They are Holdover and account closing.

I find out about the Holdover when doing a search awhile back on
something else. Will post a link to the relevant litigation later on
this weekend. Anyway I "holdover" is analogous to the demurrage fee
that is charged shipping companies when their vessels stay longer in
port than anticipated. I ran across a piece of litigation where a
client had terminated the account and the vendor charged a holdover
fee (I think it was above and beyond the normal storage fee) while the
customer was trying to retrieve their records for transfer to the new
facility. This particular case was very interesting as it also
mentions permanaent out fees.

Account closing fee is charged to close your account enuff said.

as John Montana and others have pointed out you need to read the
contract, T&Cs, fine print whatever very closely before signing on the
dotted line. At a previous employer all contracts were reviewed by
Legal, contract administration and finance. and what a benefit that
was as the finance guy caught a clause that stated we would be on the
hook for paying for at least 80% of initial intake. In other words say
you put 10,000 cubic feet into storage. now you have an aggressive
records destruction process and you destroy 3,000 cubic feet. If your
contract says you must maintain at least 80% of the initial input,
then you will be paying for 1,000 cubic feet that you aren't even
using. you're paying for air!

pa

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA