From:
John Montaña <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2006 15:26:53 -0500
It's all the same set of charges packaged differently.  One way or another
the vendor must recover all costs from intake to return, and make a profit.
They can do that by having a single monthly fee that covers everything, or
by parsing it out into separate fees along the way, in a great variety of
different packages.  If they do it the first way, the monthly fee will be
higher.  If they parse it out into separate fees, the monthly storage charge
is typically very low, and the money gets made somewhere else.

In order to figure out if the perm out fees are worth it, you have to factor
in pricing for everything else, estimate the period of time the boxes will
reside at the facility at those low monthly fees before being destroyed and
reduce everything to present value so you can compare various pricing plans
from different vendors.  If the other numbers and factors are right, it
could be a good deal, perm out fees and all.  If the other numbers are bad,
you can take a hit every month on delivery costs, etc., regardless of perm
out fees.

It's been my experience that the reason perm out fees turn out to be a bad
deal is because the person signing the contract didn't figure them in --
they were concentrating on the low monthly storage charge.  As always, read
the fine print and negotiate hard.

John Montaņa
General Counsel
Cunningham & Montaņa, Inc.