From:
"Cheryl L. Rose" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2006 09:31:38 -0500
We are a large foundation in the process of updating our retention
schedule and disposition processes. We've done well at mass
documentation from the records center of destruction of records, but not
so well when departments destroy records. Are there "rules" for when
destruction needs to be documented? I have a hard sell ahead in making
this simple to implement if we must show documentation of all records
destroyed. In my research, it seems that most destruction for public
records is at a higher standard than what we may need to do. Some
organizations don't require destruction forms if disposition is done in
accordance with the retention schedule and in the routine course of
business. Do you require it, then, if it's not done once minimum
retention is met and out of routine? Do you document when duplicate or
convenience copies are destroyed when there are archival records that
survive in another format? Is it only required for legal or evidential
records? Is it documented for manual destruction and how would we retain
evidence of automated dispositions? I've confused myself well and could
use some advice from the folks out there. Thanks!

Cheryl Rose
Records & Archives Analyst