From:
"Cunningham, Ray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2006 06:59:38 -0500
Question: What other tasks that are on the periphery of RM do you perform that you believe should not be a part of Records Management practices?

The arguments seem to be along the lines of "Big Tent" - include reprographics, library management, mail management etc. and "Little Tent" - encompass only the core of RIM practices. In smaller shops we do a bit of everything and in larger shops we may be doing only very specific tasks.
I think the longer we are held hostage to the warehouse and kept out of IT, the longer we will languish lower on the ladder of the organization. Much of this can be dependent upon the individual, but folks lets face it, if you cannot talk the IT talk you won't be welcome. How many times have we heard "Records managers take care of the paper records and IT takes care of the electronic records."
If you stick with the mail room as one of your core competencies and do not move forward, you may be stuck. This also goes for supervisory experience. If you don't have supervision as part of your duties, you might find yourself hitting a ceiling as to how far you can go.

Raymond K. Cunningham, Jr. CRM, CA

Put down that box and move the profession forward. If 98% of information is created digitally, what are you doing in a job that requires you to lift 35-40 boxes of paper?