From:
"White, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2006 13:55:57 -0700
Doug Allen said:
>I would tend to agree that the CRM exam can always be improved
upon.....
>Fortunately, it is improved upon on a regular basis, with new questions
>being added, old questions that no longer apply being dropped, etc.
The >ICRM Board is very focused on ensuring that the exam is relevant to
Records >and Information Managers, and to BOTH paper and electronic
records.

Doug is correct.  I had the distinct opportunity to spend a day this
past weekend with the committee that develops the questions.  The Regent
responsible for overseeing this committee is Debra Gearhart, a person I
consider one of the leaders in our profession.  Most of the committee
members are either practicing RMs (many with 20 years plus experience)
or academics.  They are constantly updating questions, deleting old ones
and adding new ones to the test bank.  It is probably one of the most
thankless and demanding jobs I've ever come across in a volunteer
organization, yet everyone of them takes their roles very seriously.

As I stated yesterday in a post most records managers must deal with
both worlds, paper and electronic.  The test reflects that reality in my
honest opinion.  Many of the new questions I saw for Part V are relevant
to current trends in electronic records management; some of them will
challenge even the most technology savvy amongst us, including a former
Marine Drill sergeant who occasionally posts on this forum. :>)

Doug's comment that "the CRM exam can always be improved upon" is a
valid point, something that the ICRM Board is keenly aware of.  But I
suspect this same issue applies to other professional certifications,
especially those in fields such as ours that is constantly evolving.

Bruce L. White, CRM, PMP
San Diego, CA
TEL: 619-696-4671
FAX: 619-696-2534