From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2006 16:12:15 -0400
  RAIN 061020 Records and Archives In the News is a compilation of news stories related to records and archives management.   IT industry: Data retention mess needs fixing
 ZDNet UK - UK
 ... Storage Expo conference on Wednesday, Eurim boss, Philip Virgo argued
 that there were some 17 different legal requirements in UK law alone over
 data retention. ...
 <http://news.zdnet.co.uk/business/0,39020645,39284241,00.htm>   Google to place Wisconsin history online
 WTN News - Madison,WI,USA
 ... In addition to public documents, the UW-Madison libraries will target
 other high-use collections, such as the history of medicine, patents and
 discoveries ...
 <http://wistechnology.com/article.php?id=3415>   Presidential Records and Personal Records
 Washington Post - United States
 ... I was an archivist in 1978, the deputy head of presidential libraries
 at the National Archives, and I helped frame the Presidential Records Act.
 <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/19/AR2006101901645.html>   Abkhazia’s archive: fire of war, ashes of history
 Open Democracy - London,UK
 For me the tragic story of Abkhazia's archive is inseparable from the story
 of its archivist. I first met Nikolai Ioannidi in May ...
 <http://www.opendemocracy.net/democracy-caucasus/abkhazia_archive_4018.jsp>   Bly's archives purchased by U. of Minn.
 United Press International - USA
 MINNEAPOLIS, Oct. 20 (UPI) -- The University of Minnesota Libraries have
 purchased American poet Robert Bly's manuscripts, personal papers and
 correspondence. ...
 <http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20061020-060848-7426r>   U of M acquires Robert Bly archives
 Minneapolis Star Tribune (subscription) - Minneapolis,MN,USA
 Robert Bly, internationally known poet, translator, social critic and moral
 force, has sold his archives to the University of Minnesota Libraries for
 $775,000. ...
 <http://www.startribune.com/384/story/754710.html>   Cost of Data Breaches Rises Sharply
 eWeek - New York, NY
 ... Records lost by third party-business partners or outsourcing companies
 represented the ... Misplaced or stolen backup files, such as those stored
 on magnetic tapes ...
 <http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2034667,00.asp>   Church Group Suing Weil Gotshal Claims Firm Withheld E-Mails
 Law.com (subscription) - San Francisco,CA,USA
 ... But Weil Gotshal general counsel Richard Davis said Thursday that the
 discrepancy was explained by the partners' different approaches to document
 retention. ...
 <http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1161335120279>   Ordonez wigs more than fashion, Hollander says
 The Grand Rapids Press - Grand Rapids,MI,USA
 ... a Wayne State University graduate student, he worked as an assistant
 archivist for Tigers ... fans," said Reynolds, who as director of the Joint
 Archives is lead ...
 <http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ssf?/base/news-8/1161355667258870.xml&coll=6>   A Champion of Black History
 Los Angeles Times - CA,USA
 ... insects and other hazards that made Clayton's garage an archivist's
 nightmare. ... is the home of the nation's most prestigious black history
 archives, with more ...
 <http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-clayton21oct21,0,6930729.story?coll=la-home-local>