Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2006 10:58:17 -0800
Thanks Dick for the response.  I have already made it clear that the
individual should consult with their accounting group who prepared the
documents for their input on retention and to determine if there is a legal
reason for retaining for a long period of time.  In addition, I also made it
clear that they should have their legal department review for their input
and approval for whatever they decide.

I had mentioned that I have the legal citations from the CFR on the
retention requirements and the IRS recordkeeping document that also outlines
in a table the retention requirements.

Unfortunately, some of retention requirements published by accounting
firms/legal firms as "best practices" have retentions of 10 years to
permanent.  But, they don't cite the legal citations for their retention
decision.

I recognize the fraud portion of the IRS retention that would make the start
of the retention period before destruction as the date the case was
resolved, then end of period for statue of limitations (Date resolved plus 6
years).

I was really hoping there was someone out there who worked in a CPA or Legal
Office that had a legal citation for longer retention of an individuals tax
return.

I evidently didn't make my request clear and I apologize.

Thanks you for your feedback...

Bob Dalton, CRM
Dalton Consulting
1-253-229-4555