From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2006 12:58:15 -0800
On 11/7/06, Link, Gary M. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> To records managers and archivists, the word "permanent" means "forever."
> But in my years of interviewing records users, I have become accustomed to
> the fact that when the general public uses the term "permanent" regarding
> their records, it can mean many things. Usually, it means "As long as I'm
> here, after that I don't care." Still, this latest version of the use of
> "permanent" has me so stumped that I'm turning to the list for help.

It can mean anything from "as long as I'm here" to "until I say to get rid
of it" =)

When it comes to things in the Record Center, our rule is you need to
provide a record series for the materials you are asking to be stored, and
that record series has an assigned retention period, which is applied to the
materials.  At the end of that period, the owning organization is informed
the materials have met their assigned retention and they are offered a few

   - we will dispose of the materials for them, once they approve
   disposal
   - they can offer the materials to the Archive if they feel they are of
   significant value
   - they can request an extension for storage of up to a year, but they
   need to state why
   - they can request the materials be returned to them, and handle them
   as they see fit

I found a citation for a record series that states "The governing authority
> shall record, sign, and retain in the hospital as a permanent record minutes
> of all of its meetings and the meetings of all of its committees, including
> a record of attendance for a minimum of five (5) years."
>
> A contacted the governing authority for this hospital for clarification on
> the citation: Is it permanent or is it 5 years? Here is the answer I
> received:
>
> "it means to keep the minutes in permanent form for 5 years."
>
> Well, I have concluded that they mean a retention of 5 years. But I am
> stumped as to what "in permanent form" means. A request for further
> clarification has not been answered.

If they can't answer it, I'd change the language in the retention schedule
to something that isn't subject to interpretation, unless they can provide a
citation that explains it from some body of law or reference source.

What does "in permanent form" mean? Am I focusing on something meaningless,
> now that I have my retention period? Should I let it go? Should I just move
> on? How will I sleep at night not knowing?

I'd continue to ask for clarification.  This could be some archaic language
meaning ink on paper or something that isn't subject to deterioration within
the five years... but I'm wondering if in this case they are calling it
"permanent" and meaning "vital"???

In most businesses, there isn't anything that would qualify as a permanent
record, only one of long-term value, which is determined by the legal,
statutory or regulatory requirement to keep it, any business need that
exceeds that and any potential historic or intrinsic value that exceeds
these periods combined.  Many times I've seen a schedule state "life of the
Corporation" or one that includes a trigger plus a time calculation "end of
project plus 25 years" or even "life of facility plus 75 years", which is
used in a lot of utilities and petroleum environments.

The only definition I use for "permanent" comes from NARA in 36 CFR, and it
applies to Federal Records.
http://www.archives.gov/about/regulations/part-1220.html#parta  (see 1220.14
)

*Permanent record* means any Federal record that has been determined by NARA
to have sufficient value to warrant its preservation in the National
Archives of the United States. Permanent records include all records
accessioned by NARA into the National Archives of the United States and
later increments of the same records, and those for which the disposition is
permanent on SF 115s, Request for Records Disposition Authority, approved by
NARA on or after May 14, 1973.

Keep us in the loop if you get an answer!

--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA