From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2006 02:31:42 -0500
> Date:    Wed, 8 Nov 2006 09:39:13 -0500
> From:    "Ronald W. Frazier" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: climate controlled mini vault

Snips from Ronald's original post:

> In some cases, I'm getting more questions than answers.  Everything I
> read
> says you should maintain archive media in climate controlled
> conditions.  For tapes, that usually amounts to about 50 degrees F and
> 25%
> humidity or so.

This is false as it is virtually impossible to achieve in the real
world. If you store media at such a low temperature you would need to
slowly condition from 50º F. to the 68º-70º environment of the data
processing center. But everyone says "You must slowly bring the tape up
to the temperature of the processing environment over a 24 hour period
to avoid damage to the tape."  Has anyone seen this temperature version
of a decompression chamber that slowly raises the temperature from 50º
to 68º? I know I never have.

When the data center needs the tape they need it now.  Therefore these
conditioning environments do not exist as the IT whiz wouldn't use
them.  Tapes should be stored at 68º F.  (The use temperature of the IT
Environment.) and while they may not fare as well as if they were kept
at 50º they will fare far better than tapes that are rotated in an out
of changing environments time and time again.  (If you are talking
about archival media that will never be played, then my post may not
apply.  You may only be saving it until you migrate it to microfilm.)

As for humidity 30% is optimal. Below this you get static discharges
that occur when handling the tapes.  Vaults are often equipped with
static discharge floors but offices aren't and the likely hood of
carpet in a small users office is high.

Plus how are you going to achieve 25%?  You would need a Munters
Cargocaire or similar dessicant dehumidifier.  Standard dehumidifiers
cannot achieve these low levels.  ( Especially in Georgia.)

> 1) As far as you know, does such a thing exist and do you use any?

Trying to achieve a data safe rating on a small safe is very difficult.
  Most can only provide a 1 Hour Rating.  There are two manufacturers
that make Class 125 Two Hour Safes.  Beyond that you need something
vault sized to get a longer rating at 125º F.  Trying to add an air
conditioning port into the safes would make the job even tougher.  I
know of no such device as it would be prohibitively expensive as the
HVAC System would need to be sized to the safe size.

> 2) If you don't use any, would you find such a thing useful to your
> business or institution?

As Steve says, there are many centers who provide the right temperature
and humidity and the vault to go with it.  Just ask for a Certification
that their vault is Class 125 Rated, not Class 350 paper Rated.

> 3) Do the features I described sound appropriate?
The problem with safes is that to air condition them the door must be
left open.  This then requires a door closer which is expensive as it
must detect heat and smoke and be very reliable at closing a heavy door
in an event.  Then it must be able to throw the bolts.  Some safes can
do this but they are again very costly.  If the safes are open, where
is the security from theft?

You could create a clean room scenario of a sort with access control
for security and precise environmental control and then house your
safes in here.  But by the time you spend all this money for only a few
pieces of media, will there be a customer for this expense?

> 4) What other or different features would you expect in such a device?
Magnetically shielded and with racks so the media is vertical at all
times so it does not unravel.

> 5) What do you think you'd be willing to pay for it?

Alas, people are not usually willing to pay much for it.  Offsite media
vaulting is relatively inexpensive for small accounts but too many just
don't bother as they don't want to spend the money.

> 6) How many units and what size do you think you would need?
>
> 7) And, in terms of using stored media, how long would you let a tape
> removed from the 50 degree case acclimate to the surroundings?

Here again is that acclimating problem?  It can be done but to do it
right would be expensive.
>  Would you
> be worried about condensation if the work environment has higher
> humidity,
> say 50% - 60%?

You bet.  Bring a glass of Coca Cola  (Hey, we're in Atlanta!) into
this office and watch it bead up.

In Atlanta area you have at least three companies that offer Class 125
Media Vaults with precise temperature and humidity control.  You can
have it close at hand, or 30 miles out or 60 miles out.

The problem is that one can do it right but one can not do it right for
very little money.

Plus most people don't want their data right near their processing
center.  Distance makes the Business Continuity planner happy.

Also I just read an article talking about not only storing tape
vertical but exercising the tapes to avoid the sticking together than
is just natural for the tape over time.  So it should be played forward
and backward to exercise it.  This also re-tensions the tape.

First I am walking the dog in the rain and now I have to exercise my
computer media.  Come on Bilbo!  We gotta take the media for a walk.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM

privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the
sender by return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any
unauthorized use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part
is
strictly prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to
change. Banc Tecnic Inc. dba FIRELOCK shall not be liable for the
improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in
this communication nor for any delay in its receipt or damage to your
system. FIRELOCK does not guarantee that the integrity of this
communication has been maintained nor that this communication is free
of viruses, interceptions or interference.