From:
"White, Bruce" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2006 08:19:18 -0800
Mwhaider said:
>Yes, I noticed that too.  This may also reflect that salaries do not
>increase significantly overtime when you stay at one company.  This may
not >only restrict your development of new skills and knowledge, but
minimize
>your opportunities for promotions and salary increases.

I suspect part of the reason for the differences is because a number of
the "older" or seasoned CRMs work for government, which lets face it,
pays less than the private sector.  The recent discussion regarding the
position in Missouri illustrates this point.  These CRMs tend stay in
the same or similar position much longer; less pay but more benefits (in
some cases), job stability and a decent retirement plan.

The "younger" or new CRMs, on the other hand, are employed in business
or consulting, where pay and bonuses (something I've rarely seen in
government) can add up.  In addition, these CRMs (from my experience
anyway) tend to have much better negotiation skills.  In government you
have little wiggle-room when it comes to compensation.  The private
sector is, from I'm finding out, much different.   You get what you can
negotiate.

Would be interesting to see what the make-up is by age and sector.

Bruce L. White, CRM, PMP
San Diego, CA
TEL: 619-696-4671
FAX: 619-696-2534