From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2006 10:00:02 -0800
Folks, to be honest I didn't mean to send the message I just sent, but
in the course of saving it as a draft, the system sent it instead.

Oh well - might as well just finish the thought, and sorry for the
unedited rambling:

I think salary comparisons that don't take into account benefits are
misleading. Benefits as part of the compensation package are more
clearly identified as such in the private sector. In the public sector,
personnel processes such as salary reviews, classification studies,
etc... tend to separate the two. Because of this, I think there
considerable underreporting of compensation from public sector sources -
I'm often amazed how many of my colleagues in the public sector don't
realize the dollar value of the compensation they receive in the form of
benefits. In many cases, it can be anywhere from a quarter to a third of
what one's total compensation is.

Well, that's my little piece of inadvertent bandwidth for the day!

Dwight Wallis, CRM

Records Administrator

Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronics, Distribution and Stores
(FREDS)

1620 S.E. 190th Avenue

Portland, OR 97233

Phone: (503)988-3741