From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2006 16:31:37 -0500
Snips and replies:

On Nov 10, 2006, at 12:00 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:

> From:    "Ronald W. Frazier" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Climate Controlled Mini Vault
>
> Refer to msg from Hugh Smith, 11/09/06.
>
> Hugh,
>
> Thanks for these excellent points.  I guess it's going to be harder to
> do a
> climate controlled cabinet than I thought.

> Based on what I've read, here's what I'm thinking about backup
> strategy for small business.

>   The message I seem to be hearing is that, if
> you had to choose, fire protection would be more important than climate
> control.

Heresy, unbelievable but as a vault sales I still disagree.  The odds
of having a
fire are far less than
spoliation due to improper storage environment and shoddy handling. We
know
that cycling media through changing temperatures and high humidity will
greatly
shorten the life.  And for a records manager, if you cannot survive
until the end of
the retention period, you fail the test.  You could continually migrate
the media if
you don't plan to provide the proper environment but this would be
expensive. If
you do this then fire protection would move ahead of environmental
control.

>  The following are in order of least desirable to most desirable.
> What do you
> think about this sequence?

It is not the sequence I argue with this is the best of several very
bad bargains.
Shoot!  Just don't protect it at all and then be a man (or woman) about
it and
don't cry when you go out of business or get sued or fined.
(See how I kept Ginny and Carol from beating me up there? Serving as a
member of a task force with Carol and Jerry taught me a lot.  Although
this is
all I remember. I think it is because of all the knots they put on my
head.)

> .5 - No backups are a bad idea.
Agreed.
> 1 - On site backups with NO fire protection and NO climate control are
> better than nothing.
Who wants to be better than nothing.  I once served as a Prom Date for
a girl
with no boyfriend (as a favor) and she said I was better than nothing.
I come
down very hard on the "better than nothing" approach. Let's not go
there.
> 2 - On site backups WITH fire protection and NO climate control are
> better.
No, see above. See "Heresy........
> 3 - On site backups WITH fire protection and WITH climate control are
> better, but hard to do.
It is either hard or expensive. Storing the small safes in a tightly
controlled room
(precise temperature and humidity control) could be your answer with
someone
opening and closing the door twice a day to ventilate the safes.
But now you need discipline.
> 4 - On site and off site backups with NO fire protection and NO climate
> control are better.
If you select a vendor who provides neither of these then you should be
shot!
> 5 - On site and off site backups WITH fire protection (at least off
> site)
> and NO climate control are better.
No see "Heresy........."  You need environmental control.  When I hear a
> 6 - On site and off site backups WITH fire protection and WITH climate
> control (at least off site) are better.

Now you're talking!

> So, if I had a client with one facility, I would probably recommend
> setting
> up backup technology and a strategy with a fireproof media safe in the
> office and an external fireproof climate controlled facility.
Now, you are in the risk management club with only one additional
concern,
proper handling of the media, quality tracking software and a vendor who
cares whether your media lives or dies.

> But, what if they don't want to pay the money, which is likely for many
> small businesses.  A storage cabinet and a safe deposit box may be the
> next
> best option.

At least store it with the proper environmental controls in both
locations and you
will be okay.  Most banks don't air condition their vaults so they fail
the environmental
control issue.

Just our of curiosity what would a small business be willing to  pay
per month to make
sure they survive?  What is that number? I know of offsite companies
that will vault your
media for about $40.00 to $60.00 per month.  If they skip lunch three
times in a month
they will live longer and their media will be protected.

Adams Data Management, River Mill Records Management and Barnes Data
Management,
all in the Atlanta area, would be happy to set up a small account rate
for you as a consultant.
Every account you bring them could start at a special rate.  Media
Vault companies love to
work with consultants.  They all would satisfy your #6 level.

And as Forest Gump would say "And that's all I have to say about that!"

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM

privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the
sender by return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any
unauthorized use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part
is
strictly prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to
change. Banc Tecnic Inc. dba FIRELOCK shall not be liable for the
improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in
this communication nor for any delay in its receipt or damage to your
system. FIRELOCK does not guarantee that the integrity of this
communication has been maintained nor that this communication is free
of viruses, interceptions or interference.