Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2006 18:41:35 -0600
Bill:

Sorry I am getting to this late.  I have been on the road for quite a few
weeks.

Here are my opinions on your questions below based on experience and what I
am seeing in the market:

1. Education! Education! Education!  ARMA is improving its technology
offerings at its conference; however, they can't do it all.  Records
Managers must take it upon themselves to learn the aspects of technology
that relate to them accomplishing their jobs.  Educational offerings abound
on the web.  There are tutorials, webinars, bookstores, blogs, wiki's etc.
for people to get technical education.

Electronic records management is here to stay. Approximately 80% of
information now is born and dies digitally! If companies are being told by
their RM staff that they have no interest, the company needs to look for an
RM staff the IS interested.  We as records managers have asked for this
opportunity for years, don't let it slip away!

2. Records Management, as with all other areas of the business, must compete
for the attention of the Board and for budget.  Therefore, you must be
aggressive, you must market, you must show where your program fits into the
strategic direction of the organization, and you must show a TANGIBLE ROI.
Peter K has also given some good information on this one.

ARMA is doing what it can to help.  The competencies will assist in showing
organizations the real value of RIM; however, it is still up to the internal
RIM staff to make things happen in their organization.  I also refer to Pat
C's posting on this as to what other items ARMA is doing on this front.

3. Quite frankly, not long in my opinion.  IT will work to solve these
problems with or without us.  There may be some pain for the organization,
but they will get there.  Thus, do nothing to show you have value, and
before long you really won't.

Sincerely,

John P. Frost, CRM