From:
Joanne Weyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2006 08:39:08 -0800
Good Morning,

I was hoping to prevail upon the collective wisdom of some of the more
senior members of the list.  I am fairly new to RM, having only worked
in the field for 3 years, after transitioning from a library career.

I have recently started a new job at a small company that has only been
in existence for a couple of years.  Part of my job is to help them set
up a record system.  However, I am encountering a number of obstacles
related to organizational culture and individual behavior, from outright
hostility, to indifference, to disinterest.  It is has been more a case
of begrudging acknowledgement by senior management that there are
problems with record keeping, but not full support or desire for change.

I have made a presentation to the staff, and have been speaking with
individuals (including the Chief Operating Officer whom I report to) in
different areas to explain what I am doing, why I am doing it, and how
it will benefit them, but can't seem to convince everyone.  The company
right now is dealing with things that it deems urgent, but not the
things that are necessarily important, and senior management doesn't
seem to view records management as either important or urgent.

Any suggestions or advice from the more experienced members of the group
on other things that I can be doing to get the message home or deal with
the issues associated with change?

Please feel free to reply off-list to my e-mail.

Thanks

Joanne Weyman