From:
Nolene Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2007 10:12:49 -0800

It may well be the next generation that makes this shift, but I am
continually amazed that co-workers much younger than I are far less
computer-savvy. I'm a tail-end baby-boomer ... OK, I'll admit I'll be 50
next year and I'm pretty much a geek, but it seems co-workers, many men,
but even some female admin assistants know very little beyond opening a
program and typing something. Honest-to-god, one woman a good ten-years
younger wanted to delete some files so she opened each one, deleted all
the text then saved it again and wondered why they wouldn't disappear
from her My Documents folder. I have spent way too much time cleaning up
e-documents that I need to combine into one report where an admin
assistant (probably late-20's) used the space bar and hard returns to do
all her formatting.

Sometimes I pine for the days of DOS where you actually had to know
something to use a computer. By the software companies -- and Microsoft
leads this pack -- making their programs so "user friendly" (read
"idiot-proof") I think people are actually getting LESS computer
knowledgeable.

Sorry -- off my soap-box now!

Nolene Sherman | Director of Records Management | Standard Pacific Homes

<<< ...the largest paradigm shift will occur with the next generation.
I have worked to push our generation (baby boomer) and we have made some
progress. >>>