From:
Chuck Berkau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2007 11:39:14 -0500
By way of reintroduction, my name is Chuck Berkau. I'm with Process Works,
Inc., and focus mostly on business process analysis and improvement. I've
lurked for years, and don't often contribute as I learned long ago there
are way more folks much smarter than me here. I continue to be amazed at
the depth of knowledge and willingness to share and help by so many
professionals on this list. Though I'm not worthy - THANK YOU ALL!

Steve, all the advice you've gotten is fabulous for sure, including Peter
& Jesse's guidance in the thread "to process flow or not". Figured I'd
toss in my .02 regarding another fantastic resource, namely ARMA President-
elect Choksy's "Domesticating Information - Managing Documents Inside the
Organization". I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

Dr. Choksy's book has already become my primary go-to resource due to her
practical insight and exhaustively foot-noted work. Though I haven't quite
finished it and it is "all good", certain passages seem to speak directly
to your situation. Some of the points include:

Last paragraph pp 68 - "There is no such thing as a nonrecord within
records management."

pp 124, regarding analysis - "Unlike other true phases of the life cycle,
this phase anticipates all other activities in order to ensure the other
phases are executed optimally for the organization."

pp 199 - "To map the life cycle requires mapping how the life cycle
intersects with the business process."

I believe you will find a plethora of resources to help your cause in Dr.
Choksy's book, in a way that IT, legal and all of management can
appreciate. Thank you Carol, and thank all of you wonderful folks for your
insight!

Best -

- Chuck