From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2007 07:23:04 -0400
On 3/19/07, Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Actually, I don't have my "wet ink copy" in front of me, but I think the
> cause of the writing of NFPA 232 was a fire at a railroad station
> (Burlington & ?) where an extensive volume of stored records were lost.
> It's inside the front cover of the 2000 edition and earlier ones as well,

here's the relevant information from the 2000 edition
<snip>
Origin and Development of NFPA 232
The destructive fire in the general offices of the Chicago,
Burlington, and Quincy Railway in Chicago on March 25, 1922, was clear
proof that valuable and often irreplaceable business records, unless
properly protected, can be destroyed even in so-called
"fire-resistive" buildings. Following this destructive fire, the
Committee on Record Protection was organized. Reports were submitted
annually from 1923 through 1936 and again in 1939. In 1947, a standard
was developed from the officially adopted committee reports of 1942 to
1946. In 1960, the standard underwent major editorial revision and was
revised again in 1963, 1967, and 1970. In 1975, it was reconfirmed.
The 1980 edition reformatted the standard to conform to the NFPA
Manual of Style and revised the detail specifications to
performance-oriented requirements. The 1986 edition was a
reconfirmation of the 1980 edition.
Changes to the 1991 edition included a reclassification of certain
types of records. New provisions were added for the construction,
arrangement, and protection of file rooms. These changes further
increased the chance that vital documents would be spared during most
fire events.
<snip>

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA