From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2007 00:04:48 -0400
Okay the voting is over until we put these in order.  I believe we
have more than 20 so it may be the top 37 or whatever.

Unless someone says they are more qualified than me,  (and who
isn't??) then I will sort these into a list and I will assign them a
value based on what you each said they were worth.

Now if you did not do a good job in your description of what the
collection you were referring to was worth then you might be 37th.
For example "How valuable could the Library at Alexandria, Virginia
be?"  I heard several of the books weren't even colored in?  Oh wait
that was at Texas A&M.

So I will put them in order and then we can move them around little
until we have a list.  This could be a good article for some aspiring
PHD.  I bet we can publish it on one of these ejournals??

If anyone wants to embellish their suggestion and explain why you
believe their choice is such a great loss and what an appraised value
of the loss in current value might be, then I will put that by the
list with your name.  if you are in a witness protection program then
use an alias.

I think it is interesting that a key stroke can do more damage (the
Alaska $38 billion) than an invading army in many cases.  No one
mentioned the losses in Iraq;  yet so much was looted.  Although it
may still exist, it all may just be in private hands.  But in a way
this may be just protecting it until the strife if over.  Time/
Newsweek?? has an article about all the artifacts from ancient times
going back to Italy and Greece and Egypt, etc.  ( The Getty is sendng
back many pieces.) So as long as you don't destroy them, they exist
and can be returned.

I am going to ask the Getty if they have my baseball cards.  I want
them back.

I gave my presentation in Denver and only two people passed out from
stupification so I must be getting better. We were were able to
revive them but they refused treatment until I turned off my
PowerPoint projector.  People! Remember it is hard to get through
your 4,000 slides if you keep chanting "Make him stop!" over an over
again after I am only half done.

Denver has a great Chapter organization as they have large attendance
and they really have a great many members performing roles in their
organization.

Last chance for "somebody else" to put the Top 37 in order??

If you want to provide justification for your pick send it to me off
list so when I put it all back on the list it is a surprise. Plus you
don't want to give anybody else any help on their justification.

Carol I am going to have to know more about the Liberian Archives to
rank it.  Plus if it is in Indiana then it is not lost.  Surely it
could be argued that it is way off course but it is harsh to say it
is lost. They probably just wanted to be in the Home State of the
Super Bowl Champions.

Hugh

P.S. As usual I make my apologies for my remarks. A&M I am just
teasing as T-sips are allowed to do.  And yes I know you are in the
Sweet 16 and Texas is not.   Yes, I know that where the big sign just
outside of Houston, where it says "Houston Left" does not make 'all
the Aggies' on their way to Houston turn around and go home.  Just 35%.