From:
"Sather, Luke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2007 11:02:27 -0600

From: Records Management Program [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Steven Whitaker
Sent: Thursday, May 17, 2007 9:23 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: E-Mail destruction?

<snip>
As a result our IT department is leaning towards keeping everything
indefinitely, saying why bother trying to cover e-mails with retention
schedules <snip>

That would be one hell of a corporate mistake.  Train them on RIM...; or
your corporation gives up on RIM.  Apply retention policies to I/S
backup tapes as well.

------------------

Yes.  I was at a local ARMA seminar last month and one session's entire
tack was one institution training hundreds of staff to cope with
exploding e-mail servers and get things back under control.  It was the
IT guys that said the volume of stored e-mail was too much... Especially
after the server melted on a Friday and it took 50+ hours to restore a
full backup.  If that had happened on a Monday it would've been carnage.

It came down to every employee receiving RIM training, local offices in
person, and far away/new people by a custom built screencast (snazzy!);
teaching employees what correspondence lives in shared folders, and "yes
all those baby pictures you sent to your cousin are still in your Sent
Items".  Worked out great for the employees too, because who's going to
admit that they don't understand their own e-mail boxes?

Great great presentation.

Cheers,
Luke Sather

The information contained in this E-mail and any accompanying documents may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. For further information about AREVA please see our website at http://www.arevaresources.ca