From:
Sharon Burnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2007 14:23:09 -0700
Interesting article Doug. Thanks for sharing.

I'll be honest - I don't have a 4 year degree. And I know many of us don't.
I did go to university for 3 years, but had to break. Somehow I was
fortunate and found my way. But I was always interested in libraries,
research, and how things were organized so I guess you could say I was a
natural.

That said, I like how the ICRM equates job experience to education. A CRM
candidate must have 12 years of experience in specified areas of records
management to be a candidate in lieu of a 4 year degree. Works for me.

We've all worked with degreed staff that could not find their way out of a
parking lot let alone manage electronic (or paper) records. A 4 year degree
does not equal common sense. Work ethic is something else that a degree does
not ensure. I am reminded of the intern that even though they knew they
should be here by a specific time couldn't be bothered to show up until an
hour later.

I guess I'm saying that there are exceptions. Unless a position absolutely
requires a 4 year or more, I would include the desire for the degree or the
equivalent experience.

I need to be out in the sun:)

All the best!
Sharon Burnett