From:
"Compton, Barb" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2007 16:06:27 -0400
As some of you know, I took this new position about a year ago.  When I
was hired I was told it was a new position and would probably report
through legal.  Then just before I left OH I got a phone call to tell me
they had a new compliance officer and I would probably report through
that office.  Then when I got here, I found out I was reporting to the
CIO.

So almost right away, I had misgivings.  It was almost like I was being
handed off like a hot potato.  But it has worked out wonderfully well.
The CIO doesn't understand records but he sure understands litigation
and the difficulty of finding anything.  He has had some very hard
lessons on the pride of "back-up everything for ever" not being a very
good thing in the big scheme of things.  And he has a deep understanding
of costs.  He also knows about everything there is to know about
difficult customers and the importance of customer service.  I don't
think any of these are traits individual to him.

Even though my first orders were to "get the paper process under
control" he has gone way above what I expected to "join" me at the hip
with the IT department.  When he includes me in top level meetings, has
me prepare presentations, and makes it clear that he thinks my ideas
have merit it goes a long way.  For myself, I love working in this
department.  I have learned more in the last year than I did in the last
5.  We are working on some very complex electronic systems and trying to
move into some others and I'm in on all of the planning.  I have found
IT staff to be very interested, very intrigued, and very confused
sometimes about just why all of this is important.  But thanks to
Peter's postings, some ARMA and AIIM help, and a few good magazine
articles, they are slowly understanding the issues.  And they really
seem to understand, want to work it out, and are getting quite creative.

So I think my overall take away after reading these posts is that I'm
quite lucky to have the close ear of the CIO, I've been able to do some
things to keep him interested and supportive, and we seem to have a
great staff who like to hear another point of view.

As for legal and compliance, I get to have weekly meetings with them and
they hopped right on the bandwagon.  Every once in a while I think I
might get transferred, but so far we all seem to like the working
arrangements.

Contact [log in to unmask] for assistance To unsubscribe
from this list, click the below link. If not already present, place
UNSUBSCRIBE RECMGMT-L or UNSUB RECMGMT-L in the body of the message.