From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2007 16:44:46 -0500
On 7/2/07, McAdam, Pilar C <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Why are we arguing about this?  I think the real answer is that RIM
> belongs where it's going to be managed effectively and have the
> appropriate level of influence on the company, its employees, its
> systems, and its policies & practices.  Sometimes that will be with
> Legal, sometimes with Compliance, sometimes with IT, etc.  Can't we all
> agree on the principles, rather than arguing about where we fit on an
> org chart?
Pilar is right on with this assessment; there is no right or wrong
answer.  As a records manager, I've worked under Administrative
Services, Finance, Compliance, Legal and currently now within IT.
There are pro's and con's to all but the bottom line is what's best
for the company is what's best for RM.

Regarding Simon's posting "IT does not understand the complexity of RM
requirements and want to simplify them" - it's our job as records
managers to help IT understand what these "complexities" are and help
them seek solutions that are in the best interest of the company.

Sometimes that means reaching out them.  One of the reasons why I went
for the PMP credential is because I've found knowing the PM lingo
allowed me to bridge the gap between myself and my IT colleagues, most
who understand project management terms.  In my current position the
PMP gives me credibility with my IT colleages.

--
Bruce L. White, CRM, PMP
Houston, TX