From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2007 09:28:43 -0700
Would anyone like to put their 2 cents in on the following topic....

> Why a document control/records management/knowledge management
> function...
>
> *...SHOULD NOT be placed under the information technology group???
>
> *...SHOULD be placed under the information technology group???

While I appreciate some of our friends North of the Border are urging this
discussion to end,  I'd like to make an observation.

It was quite interesting the twists and turns the responses took to the
original question posed.  I knew it was going to get rather thorny and
opinionated, and decided to stay out of the exchange until it seemed to be
over, and because I knew the original poster personally, (and was familiar
with her situation) responded to her directly.

Few if any actually seemed to respond to the original question though... it
was about the DC/RM/KM FUNCTION and if it should report to the IT GROUP or
not.

Wasn't about RM vs.IT, wasn't about "who has the best Kung Fu", wasn't about
why RM should report to IT or IT be subservient to RM, just about the
reporting relationship of the "function".

And no one bothered to ask for any clarification about that... whether the
question was about the STAFF or the SYSTEM, or both.

But the responses said a lot about people and a lot about the lack of
communication between the two camps, and it also highlighted the need to
invoke the "Rodney King Principle of Participation" here.

I think a lot of people missed the boat.  With regard to the function, the
most important thing is that it serves the needs of the organization in
appropriately manging and providing access to their information assets, and
where it reports organizationally should be determined by that.

Larry
--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA