From:
"Grevin, Fred" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:14:52 -0400
When the NYC  Dept. of Environmental Protection bid out a contract for
records storage and associated services, we required a fire-suppression
system that met or exceeded the requirements of NFPA 232-2000 (I don't
like the new version!). We inspected the facility before awarding the
contract (our staff architect was on the inspection team). I don't think
it makes sense to try replicating the contents of existing standards
unless you're completely dissatisfied with them.

We have been considering high-pressure water mist (NFPA 750) for
archival storage, so don't forget fire-suppression systems (including
total-flooding clean agent) other than traditional wet-pipe or dry-pipe
sprinkler systems.

Note also Hugh Smith's posting "Potential Fire problem for Records
Centers" (08/04/2007) on emergency diesel generators.

Best regards.

Fred
Frederic J. Grevin
Deputy Commissioner and Chief Information Officer
The City of New York,
Department of Records
Email: [log in to unmask]
Land phone: 212.788.8615