From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2007 16:43:55 -0400
I have to disagree with Joe.  The purpose behind good records management
(and applying appropriate records retention) is NOT to destroy records
as soon as possible, but to keep records organized so finding what must
be kept is more efficient and less costly.  I was taught the following
as RIM purpose 35 years ago:
"The ability to find the right information, in the right place, in the
least amount of time, and at the lowest possible cost."
I still see it as a viable purpose.

<Two partially filled boxes on the shelf... .>
Can be a problem if the partial boxes are under full boxes.  They crush
easily.

< ...result in possible sanctions if your records management program was
challenged for uniformity and consistency in court.>
Not if the RIM policy includes the practice of putting more than one
retention year of like records in a storage box to prevent crushing of
the boxes, etc.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager