From:
Steve Petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2007 11:30:06 -0500
Rick,

I agree with your statement.  The problem I 'm dealing with is defining
and showing the HARD ROI in the metrics.  Without bringing in a system and
starting to build the numbers on which these savings can be shown the
response has been I don't believe the numbers or they don't apply to our
industry segment.

Steve

Rick Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Records Management Program <[log in to unmask]>
10/03/2007 10:42 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: [RM] How did you handle this?

Dear Lisa,

I empathize with your situation.

I am a former compliance officer in charge of records management, as well
as
business ethics and a host of number global areas for a multinational
corporation like yours. Even as a senior executive who reported directly
the vice chairman of the company, I found myself challenged with getting
buy-in and support for RIM initiatives.  There are many methods I used
that
worked and others that clearly did not.

Generally speaking, trying to scare management into submission with horror
stories of what could happen if..does not work.  They will say those bad
events are "one offs" not worthy of investment in sweeping change or, even
worse, label you as "Ms. Gloom and Doom."  Moreover, once you play that
card, it is difficult to keep coming back to the well saying the "sky is
falling" or "the British are coming" (no offense to my friends in the UK).

Metrics on cost savings, lowering overhead, increasing efficiencies work
better in persuading management to consider meaningful change.  What even
works more effectively, in my experience, is the use of objective evidence
and benchmarks based on what other organizations are doing in the RIM
area.
There is nothing wrong with shaming management into line with the
mainstream.  What they will not want to do, ever, is be the front-runner
in
a compliance area or the last in line to institute reforms.  "Constructive
follower" is the term I like to use.

If you would like to discuss more on this subject, feel free to contact me
offline or look for me next week in Baltimore.

Best regards,

Rick Wolf

LEXAKOS_LOGO_160pxRGB

347 Mt. Pleasant Avenue

Suite 204

West Orange, NJ 07052

(973) 324-0050 (direct)

(973) 324-0052 (fax)

(201) 602-9486 (cell)

 <http://www.lexakos.com/> www.lexakos.com

Has anybody experienced your employer paying no attention to RIM, even

hiring a person specilized in RIM, but not providing too much supports,

inputs or even comments to most of your proposals. How did you handle

this, and was this a situation you can survive and succeed?

present, place UNSUBSCRIBE RECMGMT-L or UNSUB RECMGMT-L in the body of the
message.