From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2007 22:39:20 -0400
The Exhibit Hall looked more like AIIM than ARMA.  At the Tech
Stuff.  Also there were a great many sessions dealing with the
records managers move into technology. If people are not getting the
message that RM's need to be paying attention to the computer records
then this show should have opened some eyes.

Under the heading of you can fool some of the people some of the
time, FIRELOCK Radioactive Gummy Bears were a big hit.

No Hawaiin shirts were spotted anywhere.

Would somebody high up in ARMA please outlaw Cow Bells on the show
room floor.

As I was waiting out front where the ARMA Hotel buses pulled up, a
certain Records Storage Company's big van rolled by with a Fire Truck
following it two cars back with its Siren running.  There were
several comments about the Baltimore's enlightened fire department
being proactive.  Also two comments I cannot repeat.

The electronic storage companies on the floor were using lost tapes
and fires as their justification for some of their electronic storage
initiatives.  As usual competing technologies see events from
different perspectives and the RM's are left to determine the product
mix that serves them best.

We had a banner show based on pressure from upper management to
develop a disaster resistant platform for records management.

The number of young records managers was encouraging.  But ti was the
old ones giving all the presentations in the conferences so we still
got it going.

It was definitely fun to see all the Listserv base there.  And that
is all the news I have that I have.

Honest!

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults