From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2007 13:36:16 -0700
On 10/16/07, Gretta Thorson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I would like the advice of the listserv on the retention of cancelled
> stock certificates for a public company. I have not found any rule or
> regulation that is specific about their retention.  There are various
> opinions in our company from 7 years to permanent.  What have others
> determined to be sufficient retention?  Keep in mind these are CANCELLED
> and are not the same as any stockholder listing.

Well, it appears it may be dependent upon the nature of the business, if
it's still active or if it's non-existent any longer, and the state it
operated in and you're in.  Looking at a number of sources, I've seen
anywhere from 6, 7, 10, permanent mentioned.

Here's a couple of citations worth looking at:

www.sec.gov/rules/final/34-48931.htm

tobaccodocuments.org/lor/03560515.html

(scan down to the bottom of the list  on this page to see the memo from
Lorrilard)

Larry

--
Larry Medina