From:
Gerry McFatridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2007 09:45:17 -0400
There was some discussion on the list about this topic just a few weeks
ago. A search of the list archives should turn up that thread.

I have used a couple of the freeware apps (specifically one called
Eraser) that will wipe a file to DOD standards or better if you choose.

My opinion is that any of these apps will make files unrecoverable by
any "casual" user. Certainly if one is willing to throw more resources
at the problem even "really deleted" files can frequently be reovered.
The only truly secure way of deleting files is to actually physically
destroy the media on which they were stored.

Gerry