From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2007 15:16:35 -0400
Lee:
Two different animals - although each appears to be trying to be the
other in recent years.  I am a member of both and have been attending
conferences for both for many years.  I get different benefits from
attending each.  Here is my opinion on each:

ARMA - covers a broad range of RIM concepts and issues with emphasis on
general records management, compliance, legality, and new RIM issues.
Has good educational sessions that present concept information rather
than "show and tell" ("this was our problem and this is how we solved
it") or case studies.  No vendor "ads" or product pushing is allowed in
the ARMA educational sessions.  Also includes some other activities -
ARMA leadership training sessions, standards meetings (where possible),
and some ICRM events.  The Expo (which is still owned by ARMA) has grown
to include a bigger range and choice of vendors over the years.  Also,
the ARMA Bookstore has a big presence at the Expo.

AIIM - covers technology, with some spattering of RIM concepts and
issues lately.  AIIM is strong in the technology sector (considering it
started out as a technology organization as the National Microfilm
Association), and the conference is a good source for what is new and
what is coming.  Educational sessions have improved, but are still
mostly "show and tell" with heavy vendor participation.  Includes a
strong Standards presence with meetings every day and a "standards
central" room open during the conference.  The Expo is its strong point
with lots of vendors (again leaning toward the technology sector).
Because AIIM no longer owns the Expo, it is usually held in conjunction
with other industries such as Print on Demand.  The AIIM Bookstore is
also outsourced and does not have a presence at the Conference.

I see ARMA as the RIM educational arm and AIIM as the technology arm of
our industry.  Personally, I attend ARMA for the educational benefits
(and, lately, for some of the Expo) and I attend AIIM for the Standards
activities and the Expo.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager