From:
Jay Maechtlen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2008 20:19:50 -0800
Hi, Hugh

Hugh Smith wrote:

> CFO: Wow the cost of power is incredible and I have the Board after me
> for cost cutting. Plus the volume of servers has increased so much
> that you are now using something called virtual servers.  And if my
> data center is virtual , why can't I just have virtual power and
> staffing bills.

"virtual server" means you can keep chunks of software away from each
other for reliability, even though they live on the same computer
(=server='box'). One physical server can house quite a number of virtual
servers. This saves mucho power, as you consolidate 5-10 boxes (or more)
to one.
Virtual infrastructure, to some extent, same idea. Fewer boxes to do the
job. Less rack space, less power, less air conditioning.
As computers/servers become more powerful, can put more virtual servers
1n each box (or in each blade) saving space, wiring, power, etc.

These don't necessarily reduce backup needs, but they may simplify
things to some extent.

> CFO:  I had a meeting with legal yesterday and they ask for our data
> mapping of the records required for their upcoming litigation of our
> trial and when I told them "No sweat! We have Virtual Records."
I don't know the reference to virtual records, but virtual servers may
as well just be called servers. They are administered just like a
standalone box, but easier to backup, restore, or move to new hardware
if a failure occurs.
> I see this little theatre quite regularly.  We have been building
> server-vaults for some time now.  In the past it was security that was
> the issue. All of a sudden Disk to Disk made things so cheap on the
> equipment side that "dual" data centers started happening.
>
> But the power issue is rapidly become a big problem. Power prices are
> skyrocketing.  Meeting demand is going to be a problem. So now we see
> clients wanting to limit to one data center but protect it.  That
> trend to vaults is not the issue as much as the fact that IT has
> rushed into a technology that no one knows for sure is solid. Based on
> the past, who believes it will be?
>
> Imagine explaining Virtual Tapes, Virtual Servers and Virtual Data
> Centers to a jury of our peers (???)
can do.
> Now imagine doing it naked?
methinks I'll wear clothes, thanks.