From:
Nolene Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2008 14:46:21 -0800
I just finished a very interactive training module using PowerPoint that
will be required for all of our employees across 7 states. They will
access the training via our intranet. Actually it's three different
training programs .. one covering general records principles, the
company's Records Policy and Retention Schedule and a bit about writing
for the record. There is also a Lit Hold 101 for all employees and a
targeted Lit Hold training for those employees tasked with managing the
process at each division. It's amazing what can be done with PowerPoint,
given time and imagination. I did have the help of my niece who is a
consultant on corporate training. She gave me lots of valuable feedback
on how to make the program more interactive and how to create it so that
retention of the information is enhanced -- there's a science to
learning, and using online training tools is much different than
classroom training. Even using audio vs no audio greatly changes how to
present the material (since we don't have sound universally at the
desktop, I needed to do non-audio training). I thought I did a pretty
good job on the original training, even our in-house training manager
was impressed. But after applying the principles my niece taught me, the
program was improved tremendously -- our in-house guy was flabbergasted.

I expect to deploy before the end of the month. I can update later as to
how it actually goes.

Our company purchased a learning management system for deploying
training not too long ago called Lectora, and I just got access to it to
see what it does. We also have a license for Adobe's Captivate for
creating training programs -- this program is especially useful for
creating software training programs. These programs offer more in the
way of doing branched training where depending on how the user responds,
different feedback may appear and of being able to apply quizzes and
capture the results, and track who has completed training. I was too far
along in the PowerPoints and didn't want to dump all that work, so I'll
use these tools for my next group of procedural training programs.

This whitepaper from the Adobe site, was particularly useful:
http://www.adobe.com/products/captivate/pdfs/captivate_leveraging_multim
edia.pdf

Nolene Sherman | Director of Records Management | Standard Pacific Homes