From:
Susan Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2008 09:53:57 -0500
Full text search doesn't always work the way you think it will,
particularly if you haven't taught it anything. It's not really "full
text search" anyway.  It's a 2 step process, and the biggest one you
don't see.  First the search engine crawls around the web or its
organizational environment and finds documents, web sites, objects and
so forth, and makes its own index from that document or object.  Unless
either you taught the search engine what to look for or it's learned a
great deal over time about its environment, it's going to pick what it
thinks seems important, and what it likes, and not necessarily what
makes sense to your organization.

Second, when it does a "full text search", it doesn't search the web or
the environment; it searches its own index of documents and objects that
it has already built. It's searching its own database, not anything
else.

It's better to have some controlled vocabulary or pre-determined
structure in the first place, to teach the search engine - or you are
going to have some extremely frustrated searchers and an IT team that is
working overtime trying to solve search problems instead of
optimization.

Susan Fitch Brown
202-493-6142