Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2008 08:45:39 -0500
Dear Listserv:

I must say that this most recent version of the certificate/certification
thread has been very interesting to read.  I have been a list member for
about 7 months and this has to be the 3rd or 4th time this discussion has
reared its ugly, yet entertaining, head.  I was hoping to make it until
March or even April before this discussion came up again, but no luck
there.  I am very interested in certifications (along with continuing
education) and I hope to earn the CRM credential next month when I take
Part 6.  I am also very interested in the AIIM certificate programs despite
their cost.  Peter mentioned in one of his posts that people have been
expressing concern about the cost of the CRM process.  To me, the cost is
very reasonable, assuming that I don't have to take Part 6 a 3rd time.  The
February testing cycle will be my 2nd.  The last time didn't count in
November since the Pearson Vue software crashed on me 30 minutes into the
test!  But, that is another story.  When compared to the AIIM certifcate
programs, the CRM process is a bargain.  I am certainly not interested in
all of them, but I am interested in the ERMM and ECMM programs as my
company is about to embark into the realm of managing our unstructured
content on our file servers.  I am also hoping we will begin investingating
an ECM solution in the near future.  As long as my company pays for the
programs, I am there.

I think we can, and already have, split a lot of hairs over what letters
after our names are certifications or certificates.  I for one never had an
interest in obtaining the CRM credential until I was laid off from my last
job about 2 1/2 years ago.  I was happy as a clam, coasting along until I
got a pink slip.  That shook things up to say the least.  I was lucky
enough to latch onto where I am now and I have realized the following:  1)
Resting on one's laurels is not a good thing; 2) Obtaining
certifications/certificates is absolutely required if I am going to
progress in the RIM field which I love; and 3) The 100's of hours I have
put in studying for the CRM and just reading and studying in general have
made me a better Records Manager.  Regardless of whether a specific program
is a certification or a certificate doesn't really matter to me.  Will I
avoid the AIIM certificate programs mentioned above because they are not
certifications?  Absolutely not.  I have learned that learning is the most
important thing for me now.  Continuing education is the way to go and ANY
program that makes me a better Records Manager and RIM professional is
beneficial.  It all helps to raise the level of the profession in general.
It specifically helps to raise my game so I can take the next step(s) up
the ladder.

There, those are my two cents worth on a cold West Chester, PA, morning.

Thanks,
Stephen A. Smith, MLIS, CDIA+
Records Manager
QVC, Inc. Information Services
Phone - (484) 701-1559
Fax - (484) 701-1984

present, place UNSUBSCRIBE RECMGMT-L or UNSUB RECMGMT-L in the body of the
message.