From:
John Annunziello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:25:36 -0500
Having just completed the AIIIM ERM masters certificate and writing part 6
of the CRM next month I thought I would throw caution to the wind and
comment on this.

AIIM certificate program
I probably would not have paid for this personally, had I not won this at
the Canadian ARMA conference a few years ago.  Having said that though,
this was a good course and there are different levels that  AIIM
provides.....all of which can be very confusing.  There are one or two day
programs which provide a certificate at the end.  Basically, it says you
attended.  With the masters certificate in records management or content
management, you write an exam at the end of the course (similar to part 1
-5 of the CRM) and then you write a case study (similar to part 6 of the
CRM).  After going through this I would have to say that the course itself
would not be enough to pass (70%) the case study.  You would have use your
experience together with what was learned in the classroom.   Granted you
are given 3 months to write the case study with your notes in hand.  I
would recommend one of these if your organization is contemplating the
EDRMS route.

Personally, I was surprised at how difficult the case study was.  I must
have spend close to 25 hours writing it and am proud in attaining this.

CRM
I knew this was going to be hard and it was.  Hence, only about 1000 CRM's
worldwide.   Without the experience I have gained in over 20 years in RIM,
together with getting back to the books I would not have passed 1 - 5.
Some were very easy to pass and required little studying on my behalf,
However, I found part 1 to be difficult.  Others in my CRM study group
found part 1 easy but struggled with other parts.  For the CRM, you need
to qualify with either experience or education.  I found the CRM was a
much broader program whereas the ERM programs covered electronic records
to a greater extent.

Between the two, the CRM is no doubt much harder to qualify for and to
attain.  The true test for me will be next month when I write part 6 with
the experience I have learned in the workplace and the studying done.

I wouldn't discount the educational content and importance of the AIIM
masters program.  Both (AIIM and CRM) are important and have a role in our
learning curve.  As Stephen has said, its all about learning

John Annunziello, ermm
Manager, Records and Information
Toronto and Region Conservation Authority

"Information is a corporate, strategic asset that needs to be managed"