From:
Paula Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2008 14:30:09 +1300
Ermits!  Fantastic. :)

I do agree in part with Nolene, IRM when spoken also sounds a little
unsure of itself, something as a profession you definitely don't want to
be perceived as.

From my perspective and as someone who is also passionate about this, it
is more commonly RIM because the R is far more tangible and structured
than the I, hence comes first.  The I may be the asset but it is the R
that has more weight, especially in law.

There are consequences of putting the I first, in some organizations if
the I came first, you would immediately get placed under the IT
umbrella, equally though putting the R first can mean you're filing
clerks! Another Friday discussion!

On the plus side I agree with what Suzanne has said, how we describe
ourselves as a profession also indicates how we are perceived by our
stakeholders, and how easily the doors are opened into other areas, not
just IT but also to the organization as a whole.  For many
organizations, 'records' is still perceived as the dusty file room where
things go and never return (I think there's even a Dilbert).  Whereas
the I is perceived as being more modern, helpful, responsive.

I am also mindful that, as with many organizational issues, the term
used to define your profession is an evolutionary area.  Areas of the UK
for instance are just starting to use Information Managers not Records
Managers, many New Zealand organizations still use RM and IM as separate
entities.

The short answer I guess is that people will use the term which is most
unambiguous and clearly defines the profession/role(s) involved.  Shall
we discuss the taking back of role names stolen by the IT proffession -
'architect' etc!  :)

As for other terms we could use -
Information Governance Manager - IGM
Knowledge Facilitation Consultants - KFCs

Have a good weekend all
Paula

Paula J Smith | Records Manager

PHARMAC | Level 14, Cigna House, 40 Mercer Street, PO Box 10-254,
Wellington, New Zealand
P: +64 4 916 7552 | M: +64 021 437 847 | F: +64 4 460 4995 |
www.pharmac.govt.nz