From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2008 23:10:24 -0700
Hmmm, maybe I am getting it wrong, but I think what Chuck is alluding to is the continued and pervasive erosion of our civil liberties. The current series of imminent threats has brought us to a point where we are willing and even eager to allow small incursions into our freedoms for the perceived greater good of combating these issues. For those that insist that we relate postings to records issues then we can look at our role as Records Managers in this process. We have no professional moral imperative that would provide an answer so lucky us we get to use our well developed, iron clad, binding professional ethical standards (oops sorry about that, sore point with folks and all that).

So OK, no ethical standard. Should we endorse the current trend. Well, that remains to the individual. The two ends of the argument might be, we should do everything to aid our government in a time of crisis. The other end might be we defend our liberties even though it makes our struggles more difficult or even that we eventually fail as a state. The "truth" might be somewhere between. That we struggle with it (at least some do) gives me at least a level of assurance (not so much that I don't wake screaming in the night) but a level that we will weather the storm and remain free.

Granted I am no Poly-Sci major but I did sleep through about ten years at university and I think something must have sunk in though osmosis. There was a theory that was chucked up for discussion about the role of beauracracy in the growth and institutionalization of the various totalitarian governments. I know we are a far cry from any of that but then... so were they at a point. Keep in mind that we are pitching ourselves as core operations within any bureaucracy.

Maybe that is what Chuck was throwing on the floor

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

All men having power ought to be mistrusted.
James Madison

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.
James Madison

It is a universal truth that the loss of liberty at home is to be charged to the provisions against danger, real or pretended, from abroad.
James Madison

The capacity of the female mind for studies of the highest order cannot be doubted, having been sufficiently illustrated by its works of genius, of erudition, and of science.
James Madison (Ok I threw that one in to show that man had sense and you should listen to him)

One of my favorites
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Ben Franklin

A democracy which makes or even effectively prepares for modern, scientific war must necessarily cease to be democratic. No country can be really well prepared for modern war unless it is governed by a tyrant, at the head of a highly trained and perfectly obedient bureaucracy.
Aldous Huxley

Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.
P.J. O'Rourke
Well this has been fun,

Chris (I told you it was off topic) Flynn