From:
"Luckevich, Julie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2008 09:30:34 -0500
Dear Sandra

As someone who has done a lot of recruitment and also recently
re-written a Records analyst job description, I will tell you what I
did.

I made sure that both the Technician and Analyst competitions included
both an oral and a written test.  As a starting point for the Technician
written test, I used the two core RIM textbooks that I have copies of:
Robek, Brown, and Stephens and the Ricks, Swafford and Gow textbook.
Both have many case studies, as well as True / False and multiple
choice.  SInce I once taught, I happen to have the instructors manual
for both courses, so that helped.  I had to make the questions less
academic, and more directly related to an office environment, and took
out anything sounding too textbook-y, as some RIM terminology is tricky
to someone who hasn't studied it (coding vs classifying vs indexing).
You should modify all of the questions, as the material is copyrighted
(or request permission to use them).

While interviewing is always a bit of an art, I made sure to include
some factual RIM questions, like "Name the 4 types of value considered
in setting a retention period" to ensure they knew basic principles.
Since we are a government our hiring process is highly structured.  One
of the benefits is that it forces you to create written questions, as
well as "ideal" answers, and also forces you to write down the
candidates' answers.  Yes it is more work but at least you know you are
asking the same questions of each candidate, and can compare answers
after the fact against the answer you were hoping for.  It will also let
you know when you have a badly worded question when candidates
misinterpret it.

Since it doesn't sound like you have a very formal program I would
recommend going back to the competencies you expect of this position,
and designing a test that will bring those out.  E.g. if project
management is important, and Excel is important, create a test that
forces them to use Excel while also showing analytical and project
planning skills.  If you are looking for Writing skills and creativity,
ask them to create a one page flyer promoting good filing.

I have had candidates that were extremely close after the interview, but
had widely varying results on the written.  I highly recommend using a
written test.  I swear by them.  It can separate the wheat from the
chaff, and save you from making a bad hiring decision.  Also make sure
your job posting clearly states what you are looking for in terms of
competencies, so you can weed out the unqualified candidates.

Julie Luckevich, MLIS
Supervisor, Corporate Records & Information
Corporate Services Dept.
Regional Municipality of York
17250 Yonge Street
Newmarket, ON L3Y 6Z1