From:
"Link, Gary M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2008 08:14:04 -0500
Hugh,

Points all well made and well taken. We recently moved from in-house
records storage to a commercial records facility, and for the record I
did not choose the lowest cost option, but rather a company that I have
been familiar with for many years, whose facitlity I toured and whose
personnel I knew well and knew that I could always work with to "make it
all work." (I eat at Sloppy Joe's, but I don't store my records there.)

Not all industries can completely join the electronic records
revolution. In our industry, A/E, we have a higher % of documentation
that is "other." Project documentation includes samples of bricks, glass
block, wood veneer, carpet, aluminum, and anything you can think of that
might be used in building a building, to include the housing for
security cameras. In some industries electronic records may be able to
supplant paper in most cases, but in mine that won't happen until
hologram technology becomes much more advanced. :-) So physical storage
will be needed for the foreseeable future.

Best wishes,
Gary

Gary Link, CRM
Astorino