From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2008 13:04:43 -0600
On 2/13/08, Chris Browne <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> As Records Managers, we can see the fault in this logic immediately: if the NFL
> believed they had the original and only copies of the information, then obviously it
> would not be available for use by any of the 32 teams; as such, there would be
> no reason to destroy the tapes and notes so quickly. Clearly that justification
> holds no water, and the whole situation reeks of scandal. My guess would be
> that the records were extremely incriminating or that there was evidence that the
> Patriots did not turn over all that existed, and that is why it was destroyed so
> quickly and the Commissioner's Office refused to divulge what the tapes
> contained.
I'm both an NFL fan ( A die hard Cowboy's supporter since before the
Ice Bowl) and a records manager and respectfully disagree.  I've read
all the press reports from talking heads at ESPN, FOX Sports, USA
Today, the Sporting News, etc.; it is all blather.  I see this as
nothing more than a another way for a senator to get some cheap
publicity; he got his wish.

Regarding retention, from a business stand point why would they need
to be retained any longer then administratively valuable, which in
this case was until the completion of the investigation?  I've
searched and didn't find a any regulatory requirements for maintaining
the tapes; maybe someone might have better luck.  And as far as I can
tell, there was no pending lawsuits involving the tapes so there
wouldn't be a requirement to place a legal hold on them.

The NFL conducted its investigation, the Commissioner fined the Pats
and Belichik a substantial amount of cash and took away a first round
draft choice, the rest of league supported his position, end of story.
 There is no scandal (which may be difficult for some of the
conspiracy buffs to believe) and it is time to move on and start
discussing the upcoming draft.  Congress doesn't need to pass another
law - we have enough rules and regulations on the books already.

--
Bruce L. White, CRM, PMP
Houston, TX