From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2008 14:55:26 -0600
On 2/13/08, Broud, Trish <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I also tend to think the former. I have interfaced with FOIA staff in federal
> government agencies and my experience has been that they just want to do their
> jobs, they are too busy to take time to be nefarious. There is a regulation that
> they need to comply with and that keeps them busy enough.
I agree.  I served as a FOIA officer many years ago; we did our best
considering the limited resources we had.  You are always going to
find some bad apples in government but most employees want to do the
right thing.  A few of these individuals and groups don't understand
that requests can be extremely time consuming, especially if the
information resides in different locations and formats.  Sure,
governments can ask for reimbursement but I bet the $$ received don't
cover all of the expenses involved.

I've read about groups that want agencies to keep everything and make
them available on the web.  They forget there is a cost with
maintaining any system.    Yet some of these set of people are the
very ones that complain about the cost of government.  Can't have it
both ways.

Off my soap box now...

--
Bruce L. White, CRM, PMP