From:
"Johnson Jr., Earl" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2008 15:49:27 -0500
Todd,

We've deployed SharePoint 2007 in our company, and I am exploring the
capabilities of SharePoint Records Center (SRC).  As you may know there
is a new DoD add-on to SRC, but we haven't installed it yet so the jury
is still out as to how much help it will be.  Eventhough--based on the
whitepaper I read about it, SRC should be much improved because of this
add-on, I'm still not sure.

I just got out of a meeting with our SharePoint administrators talking
about RM needs, and we have much work to do here.  We (as a company) are
still learning to use SharePoint as a collaborative tool, and we'll work
to figure out how to best use SRC.  We're encouraging users to store
documents in SharePoint libraries, but there will still be a number of
records that'll have to be managed and stored outside of SharePoint--not
to mention hardcopy records.

Of course SharePoint will handle scanned records and documents created
within MS Office.  One of the things I really like is the ability to add
retention rules to documents stored in SharePoint libraries and/or
created in MS Office components, and then via workflow, they can be
moved to the SRC at the appropriate time. Content types have to be set
up before any of that can happen.  Rules can then be set up in the SRC
that will initiate destruction of documents within that repository, at
the appropriate time.

SRC won't be the end all-do all, and probably has to be used in
conjunction with other RM tools in order to build a well-rounded RM
program.  You may want to consider joining a SharePoint users group to
ask more specific questions.  Jean Graef has started a good one at
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sharepointsearch/, but there are
others.

Good luck!

Thanks.
Earl

Records & Information Management (RIM)... Trust us for success!
Got RIM?

Earl Johnson, Jr.
Corporate Records Manager
Colonial Pipeline Company
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Office: 678-762-2586

This message may contain CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION intended solely for
the use of the addressee(s) named above. Any disclosure, distribution,
copying or use of the information by others is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by
immediate reply and delete the original message.