From:
John Annunziello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2008 13:54:59 -0500
I totally agree with you Gary.  Although different media are considered
records and we all know that records are records because of the content,
users somehow treat them differently.

In the paper realm in our office, we often find phone messages (the small
pink ones), notes scribbled on napkins from restaurants and notes
scribbled in the column of reports.  These have all gone so easily gone
into the paper folder.  Are they records?...of course.

In the electronic realm, it is the users responsibility to store
information into the repository.....whether it is shared drive or an EDMS.
 However, for some reason, these items listed above are not considered as
records and often not stored into the EDMS.  For some reason, they seem to
be less significant because of how they were created.   Truly it is the
mindset of the user.  Our goal as record practitioners, is to change the
mindset of the user...and this isn't easy to do.

In our office, most of the records in our EDMS are open to be viewed by
most staff.  Not many are locked down in the security mode.  It is much
easier to locate an electronic file, rather than a paper file.  Often
scrolling through the classification file structure, users come across
information that they never new existed before....and view it.   Possibly,
users are far more picky in what is stored in the electronic realm, as it
may be seen by more users?

John Annunziello, ermm
Manager, Records and Information
Toronto and Region Conservation Authority

"Information is a corporate, strategic asset that needs to be managed"