From:
Tom Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2008 13:11:06 -0600
This destruction intrigued me from the first time I read about it because
unless they have no retention program in place, this investigation and
related video should be treated like the video from every other
investigation and believe me the league has plenty of investigations with
video evidence.

I agree that its certainly not spoliation unless it can be proved that some
specific and relevant threat of investigation or action could be reasonably
anticipated, but even so, unless they treat the video evidence of other
investigations this way, they are at the least being inconsistent in
applying retention.

The lawsuits now filed should cease any further destruction because of the
duty to preserve.

I'm a former sportswriter and years ago had access to the inside of college
athletic programs having worked in sports information so I'll be curious to
watch this play out from a records standpoint.