Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:22:10 -0500
On February 20, 2008, Matthew Rose wrote:

"Thank you for asking, I am very interested in hearing your and other's thoughts of these programs.  No program that I found offered a "specialization" in just Records and Information Management.  In the case of four of the programs I found I would take courses relevant to Records and Information Management within their Archives and Records Administration program.  I also chose the University of Illinois, Urbana Champagne because they allow you to design your own program and offer some courses relevant to records and information management.

Of these programs, only two; the University of Texas, Austin, and the University of Long Island, C.W. Post had Certified Records Managers teaching at least one of the records management courses."

I took at the links you provided and I was very impressed with the class options at the U of MD, Michigan and LIU.  I think these three universities offer a wide range of classes that are relevant to the RIM field.  There was a lot of discussion last year about the forthcoming new MARA degree (Master's Degree in Archives and Records Administration) offered exclusively online from San Jose State University.  The degree proposal is making its way through the accreditation process in the hopes of starting the first cohort in Fall 2008.

http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/slis/mara.htm

The classes being offered for this degree are very interesting.  This might be an option as well.  When I attended the University of North Texas to earn my MLIS, I took one Records Management class that was taught by Tad Howington.  He did a wonderful job and I was hooked.  The rest is history as I have been working in the RIM field ever since.

Thanks,
Stephen A. Smith, MLIS, CDIA+
Records Manager
QVC, Inc. Information Services