From:
Stephen Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2008 09:38:25 -0500
The more layers that are imposed, the more resistance you'll get from the
end-users. Gary makes excellent points about the inherent differences in
arranging electronic records versus paper records. E-recs have more
potential for better arrangement and access. Looking through cabinets does
not really reveal a structure they way electronic can. While paper is
nearly flat, electronic has the depth - and in some hands that depth can
be overdeveloped and wreak havoc on an organization.

A project I worked on recently was focused almost entirely on their
e-recs. The few paper/hard records they had were so few that they hardly
merited any arrangement - and most were copies of e-recs. I developed a
big bucket functional arrangement that I developed based on insights from
end-users and broad guidelines from top leadership. I proposed 4 big
buckets, with three of them going down 1-3 levels. The fourth, which
included the revenue generating work-product went down to 5-6 levels.
Then, top leadership got the idea that everything (and I mean everything)
in the 4th bucket had to be defined down to the nth degree to reveal
provenance and context at the directory level down to the document level.
What resulted was a 10+ layer deep structure on the fourth bucket.
Leadership was also under the impression that folders and documents could
not reside together in a directory -- either all folders or all documents;
this added even more layers for a total in some directories of 20+. I
tried to persuade him to flatten the structure for the obvious reasons
(Documents become difficult to locate, uncertainties about where to save a
doc, and what to do with a doc that does not fit the structure), as well
as technological ones. (You can save a document about 10 or more levels
down in Windows, but cannot always open it due to the long length of the
file path. To access these records, I would have to map halfway down the
drive, open the file and email it to the user who would probably save it
to the desktop or elsewhere and not use that directory again.) Leadership
wanted full and detailed control with a place for every and any document
that could be conceived. The end-users (mostly designers and artists -
mostly creative thinkers who don't want to be boxed in) and me were not
happy with this straitjacketed result and tried and tried to get
leadership to back down on his idea that everything has its place - which
he did reluctantly and in small measures.

While I understood leadership's desire to be able to locate any record
quickly, I think he was applying concepts associated with paper files in
terms of description and detail and then adding the depth of electronic
whenever possible, resulting in a bureaucratic nightmare that benefited
neither. While
more layers can provide greater organization to records, it is not always
practical. (And is never practical when dealing with 10+ layers.) Big
buckets allows end-users more freedom to organize records as they need to
use them. It also allows paper files to mirror their counterparts.

I'm not sure if I said anything new or worthwhile, but it was certainly
cathartic to spew that middle paragraph.

Stephen Cohen
Records Manager
MetLife \ Legal Affairs
27-01 Queens Plaza North
Long Island City NY 11101
212-578-2373

"Link, Gary M." <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "Records Management Program" <[log in to unmask]>
02/20/2008 08:02 AM
Please respond to
"Records Management Program" <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
Re: Paper & Electronic Filing

Snip >