From:
John James O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2008 06:50:43 +0700
Further to Steve's accurate statement, anticipating the flurry that
sometimes occurs around this topic, I urge recognition of the true
value that independence brings to the Certified Records Manager.
Some other thoughts below, too.

  The ICRM is an independent evaluator of the professional body of
knowledge--there is no vested interest in passing individuals who
have taken a "sponsored" or otherwise recognized course, program,
etc.  It is open to persons who qualify to write, and through a
graduated mix of academic learning and experience, opportunity to be
tested in the body of knowledge extends to a wide range of people
with a wide range of academic backgrounds.  In my (admittedly biased)
view, the CRM has an integrity that is woefully lacking in today's
"certificate" marketplace.

No program is perfect.  So, while I'm at it, I would strongly
recommend that CRMs find ways to contribute, strengthen, otherwise be
a part of growing the brand (as it were ;-)  I served on an Ad Hoc
Ethics Committee prior to being elected to the Regent for
Certification Maintenance position, and later President, Board of
Regents.  It was a privilege to work with committed professionals,
and satisfying to know that however much some boards avoid the
difficult questions and challenges of facing the future, the ICRM
does engage.  We don't always agree, and that's a good think--keeps
the thinking sharp and the value at the forefront of decisions.
Again, I urge that CRMs get involved.  A serious problem for the
board (in my view) is lack of clammer to get involved.  This limits
ability to play "what if" and develop strategies that can take the
CRM forward.   If the stats still hold, there are more people taking
the exams all the time.  But the rigour ensures that only those
deserving actually pass.  It does not take a brain surgeon to know
that the curve of costs associated with exams against the trajectory
of revenue from the members only revenue base may not be
sustainable.  (I hope that the electronic advances may have changed
this and would welcome hearing a board view on how this may be the
case.)  I personally would like to see a "richer" ICRM but have
concern that if and when such a need is acted upon, that pressure to
be an accrediting body will grow.  Given certain factors that are
inherent in the current structure of the ICRM, I could not support
such a move.

There are often calls for the ICRM to do this or that to promote
certification--that takes resources--cash and bodies.  My own views
are strong in this, but we had infrastructure stuff to do and moved
us forward well, I think.  If others share the view that there is
more work to be done, then start thinking about how you can
contribute.  There is some amazing work being done by individual CRMs
to open eyes and doors--another challenge is that the ICRM is not a
professional associate--rather it is a testing body.  So, community
among CRMs is a fragile and largely unsupported thing except, again,
for the fine efforts of individuals (as in this list, the icrm yahoo
group, etc.).  Can we do more, is there a need to?

One fellow's thoughts...yours?

John James O'Brien, BA, CRM, MALT

Partner & Managing Director
IRM Strategies
Hong Kong: +852 3101 7359
Bangkok: +66 2 207 2530
www.irmstrategies.com

Associate Partner, S4K Research
Stockholm www.s4k.com

Note: This email correspondence (including all attachments and
content conveyed hereby) is intended for the addressee, in person or
post, only.  If received in error,  use, distribution or action based
on this email is prohibited. No    rights of ownership are waived or
lost through misdirection or interception. If you are not the
intended addressee, kindly notify the sender immediately and delete/
expunge all record of this email from all relevant systems. Legal
action may arise from any misuse of this correspondence.