From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2008 11:34:58 -0500
On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 11:14 AM, Schnier, Michael <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I would like to submit the following for discussion:
>
> How long do you need to keep Records Disposal Inventories? Does it
> depend on what the inventories capture - Box #, Description of Contents,
> Retention Category, etc or is this just an industry practice to retain
> them and if so for how long.

there have been several  discussions in the past on the list on how long to
retain records that evidence what records were destroyed. These ranged from
Certificates of Destruction to listings of records eligible for destruction.
you can search the listserv archives via this link

> We have an EDMS system in place that currently does not retain an
> inventory of records that have been removed.

I'm surprised that the system doesn't retain  or create some type of
information. is it just an EDMS or does it include a records management
component?

> However, our system administrator was asked to create one by a RIM
> Professional as it was "Industry Standard" to retain Inventories of
> Items disposed of.

I'll jump in here before LarryM has apoplexy.  There is not a "standard" but
rather it is better to refer to it as a "Best Practice" or guideline. I'm
sure LarryM will be able to explain better than I as to what constitutes a
Standard, Guideline or Best Practice.

> Since the EDMS inventories can not allow you to truly understand the
> contents of the document, are you not opening yourself up to RISK due to
> not being able to support or deny the actual contents of the document?

this would be like trying to understand the contents of a box of physical
records. A list of physical records eligible for destruction will IMHO
either provide a range of records in the box as AP records Able to Dog. or
it could also include a listing of all the files in the box. But no one
knows the actual content of the records in the file or box.

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va