From:
"Bundy, Dean" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2008 10:21:57 -0500
All,

    With regard to Hugh's post, there's too much whining about ethnicity
going on here.  We all sound like Cole Oyl (Olive's daddy in "Popeye" --
"You owe me an apology").  Reality is that people with names like Smith,
Jones, Brown, and so on are going to be in a minority in this country in
another generation or two, and dealing with (and trusting) people with
names along the lines of Obama, Twan, Hondoh, Sing, Melendez, and others
from every ethnic group on the planet will be the norm.  We're all going
to have to develop thicker skins, and now that includes those of us with
Anglo/western European surnames.

    But the crux of Hugh's post is the question of trust.  What the
commercial and military espionage cases Hugh alludes to show is that it
seems to be increasingly difficult to rely on a man's or a woman's
personal integrity and basic honesty, whatever their ethnicity.
Corporations and nations are finding that it difficult, perhaps nearly
impossible, to be certain that when a man or a woman is placed in a
position of trust, he or she will not betray that trust.  That is a far
more serious and unsettling issue.  The lack of personal integrity, the
absence of allegiance to a set of core values, principles, or beliefs
that a man or woman will not violate under any circumstances, seems to
be endemic.

    I believe that was Hugh's point, if I read his comments correctly.
(And to set the record straight, some of the most notorious betrayers in
the last 20 years have had good old Anglo/European names like Ames,
Hansen, Walker, and Pollard.)

Dean Bundy, CRM
Naval Research Laboratory

"Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and
do not represent or reflect the official policies or programs of the
Naval Research Laboratory."