From:
Tom Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 15:20:21 -0600
I'm picking this up in the middle of the thread.  I've used a communication
at separation which would go to the employee's upline manager (manager and
up being the minimum requirement).  The communication is titled Departing
Employee Content Review.  It an be sent in e-mail form initiated by any
separation notice from HR.  The e-mail would detail the desires of the
company for managers (and above) to review the electronic content of a
departed employee.  Reiterating all potential content locations such as
network stores, memory devices, CD's, e-mail (Exchange Server and separate
Personal Folder PST files), etc.  It would also list contact information for
IT security administrators or other appropriate personnel to give access.
It may also be wise to run filter requests for access to departed employee
content through an appropriate HR individual who might know of any access
considerations. Finally it gives a timetable for review with a hard deadline
possibly related to the content destruction per system standards.

As I'm sure you can see there could be many ways to structure, roll-out and
track/control this, but you get the general idea.  I think it would work
well.  When employees leave it's common to go through their physical desk,
so their virtual desk should be included.  And it allows the most relevant
manager pending any known conflicts to review the content and make decisions
about it.

Feel free to contact me offline if you have any questions.

Tom